Thursday, March 22, 2007

Do bourgeois hipsters love Petworth?

I read a very interesting article in the New York Observer about hipsters being proud of living or claiming to live in rough neighborhoods of Brooklyn. You can read it here.

I was talking to someone last night who said many "hipsters" from Mt. Pleasant have moved to Petworth. I am by no means a hipster, I am very hip mind you just not a hipster, but anyway I am very proud to live in Petworth for the positive attributes - beautiful neighbors, trees, houses etc. Are there people who moved to Petworth because it is "hip" to live in Petworth? Or is it a financial thing? I know I couldn't afford to buy in many other neighborhoods 4 years ago. So talk to me about hipsters in Petworth. What is it exactly about Petworth that attracts hipsters?

14 comments:

Christina said...

Hmm. Was Mount Pleasant "hipster" central? I dunno. Anyway, I'm going to guess that most people, including hipsters and unhip me, were drawn by the prices.

Rich said...

It can't be an accident that "Petworth's in" is an anagram for "Hipster Town".

Prince of Petworth said...

Rich, that is awesome! When I get Prince of Petworth t-shirts made, yours is on the house.
Cheers,
PoP

Anonymous said...

yay for temperance hall for bringing in the hipsters.....

Momentary Academic said...

I live in Columbia Heights (a stone's throw away from Petworth) and I thought that I would see more hipsters on my walks to work in the morning, and yet, I don't.

Hipsters are happy living on the edge? I wouldn't know. I was never that hip.

Anonymous said...

By "hipsters" you mean white people who wear corduroys out of season? And Chuck Taylors year round?

I moved to the PW because it's a nice NW D.C. neighborhood. Anyone "hipster" who thinks it's a rough neighborhood should go see some other D.C. neighborhoods--ones that are legitimately rough.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the last comment about real "rough". I mean, Cleveland Park can get bad. Last week I got yelled at for walking in the middle of the street.

Scott said...

hmmm.. I've been in Petworth now since the begining of the year and have to say that to my suprise, I haven't run into a single hipster. I have to admit, when I tell people that I live on Grant circle, I enjoy overplaying the ghetto-ness of my neighborhood a bit. One of my friends just moved into the new lofts across from the CH Giant with his girlfriend and he's totally self conscience about it. I guess if he really wanted to streach it, he could tell people he lives in South-South Petworth.

Prince of Petworth said...

Scott, thank you for your honesty and welcome to the neighborhood.

The place where I have seen the most hipsters by far is Wonderland Ballroom in CH. Although Domku gets a smattering as well.

Golden Silence said...

Bourgeois hipsters...they're a trip. Very ubiquitous, and slightly pretentious.

Why can't people just be down-to-earth and normal?

petworthdweller said...

so what is a hipster? and is grant circle ghetto?

Anonymous said...

PoP is not hip. See previous picture of his tie.

Anonymous said...

What defines ghetto-ness?

princeofpetworth said...

That tie is badass, some of you are just jealous.