Monday, February 19, 2007

Beautiful anonymous neighbors


winter sidewalk, originally uploaded by Prince of Petworth.

A friend of mine had a recent tragedy and I had to light out of town quickly. This was shortly after the snow we had and I didn't have time to shovel my walk. I started feeling bad because I know I have been angry when I am forced to walk through unshoveled paths. So my flight was very early in the morning and I figured I'd have to shovel at night when the snow was frozen. But to my surprise and delight when I came home that evening my walkway was already shoveled. And not just the sidewalk but the path all the way up to my house. How beautiful is that? This is a perfect little example of the type of community we have in Petworth. People look out for one another. I have neighbors who watch my house just as I watch other people's houses. And from what I've heard this is very common in Petworth. So I'd like to thank my neighbor for shoveling the walk. It meant so much to me given the situation I was in. Good neighbors and a good community is a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Awesome. Don't you just love being pleasantly surprised?

Anonymous said...

My neighbors came over with two shovels and helped me clean the end of my driveway. It gave me a very warm fuzzy feeling and reinforced my faith in people on a day I was feeling particularly cynical...